Saturday, January 31, 2009

On My Birthday

I decided that I would let you all know how my birthday went. Today was like every Shabbat (Saturday). We have church at 11am, lunch at 1230pm, go into the Old City at 145pm, come back for dinner at 530pm, and then have Saturday Night Live at 8pm.
Today was the most interesting day in the Old City. I first went to Shabban's, the person who exchanges our money (we got 3.95 shekels per dollar today, which is the best in the past 12 months or something like that). Shabban is really cool, every time we come by he always gives us really good tea or any other cold drink. Jason Clark and I then went and looked at a trusted antiquity shop looking at their coins and other things that might be affordable (I didn't buy anything).
I had been wanting a camel leather bag with an imprint of Jerusalem on it, so we went to a shop and the guy said that he wanted 250 shekels for a certain bag and I started kind of low at 100 shekels and the guy said he would deal with me, so I offered 150. I said I wouldn't go any higher and after holding onto my arm to keep me from leaving the store he went down to 150 shekels ($35).
We then went into a store with wood figures in it. The guy, a true believer, and his family, from Bethlehem, hand carve the figures from olive wood. He gave us a good deal for a shepherd figure I was looking at and I might engrave or write a verse or something on it.
The real interesting experience came when I met up with one of the girls from our group who wanted to go look at stuff and we went to this one shop where these two guys were just being idiots and we just walked out. When we met up with the others a number of other people had problems with them too. They are kind of the first anybody has really had a problem with. I know I'm being vague, but I could tell people later. It wasn't like real bad, it was they were just being stupid.
We then got back and had dinner and then went to Saturday Night Live where we had Battle of the Sexes. This is one of the first groups where there are a majority of guys, so we finally had somewhat of an advantage. All the guys got IDF (Israeli Defense Force) t-shirts to match. We first played the game to see how well you know your room mate. The room mate goes out, then Abner asked the other room mates questions and then they had to come back and answer them like their room mate. After a couple of rounds they had two cakes and they sang happy birthday to me, and we had the cakes. One was chocolate peanut butter and the other was a strawberry one. Afterward we kept playing different things and the guys dominated, making it the first time in the past couple of semesters. So SP '09 guys won Battle of the Sexes.
The cake wasn't the only thing for my birthday, everyone, throughout the day came up and wished me a happy birthday, plus many more on facebook too. So it wasn't a lonely day. It wasn't anything real big either, and I'm fine with that because I don't care being the center of attention. So that was my first birthday away from home. Everyone over here was really good to make sure I didn't forget about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Seth!! From Anthony and Laurie (Charis' brother and sis-in-law).

Ryan said...

seth for your birthday i ordered the st pierre vs penn fight, made a cake and everything... fight starts at 7 if you can make it to santa clarita in time... on second thought - maybe ill just tell you how it went --- the real question is though, can i eat your piece of cake?

Zach said...

happy birthday! way to haggle for some good presents, haha. i'm missin you, brother, but i know you're being blessed. have a good week!