Thursday, June 2, 2011

I'm Kiln IT!

Ok, that was a pretty stupid title, but I moved to a different location today. The old square is closed. I was moved from it yesterday after lunch. I was moved to a square where they are uncovering, what they think to be, a Roman era building. For the short time I was there a coin was discovered and uncovered the threshold of the house/room.

Today was a bit more exciting. Me and two others started to excavate a pottery kiln that probably dates back to the Byzantine era. There is a Byzantine monastery on the hill above what we believe is the Ai of Joshua. One of the cool things about doing the kiln is that no one in the whole excavation team has ever excavated a pottery kiln. It will be a short project. We started it today and cleaned out the inside. The inside is made of a concave floor with thin pieces of rock covered with plaster (only parts now are covered with plaster because of time). There was hardly any pottery in there but it was covered in ash, of course, because there would be fires at the base of it. They would make the pottery by placing it above the fire so that the clay would harden. Tomorrow we will excavate the outside of it to see if we can find more pottery to help date it more accurately. Also my parents are here and my dad and a few others will come join us. Tomorrow is the last day and then other things that I haven't quite planned out yet, because I haven't had much time to, will take place. What I know I am going to do is go down to Eilat, Jordan, and Galilee. More details will come when I figure things out and I have time to tell those who read this.

Today's Before and After Work

2 comments:

NANA BERTRAND GUTEMBERT said...

I'm very impress after all I read through your blog!
You're an amazing child of God, unique and very special!
Keep up the Good work of the Lord never give up, God has great things in store for you Phl1:6
May the Lord bless you beyond measure.
Shalom
Bertrand

Seth said...

Toda!